Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Seriously, this weather is out of hand!

You know what often gets me through miserable, cold, dreary workouts in the winter? The knowledge that when summer rolls around, I will get to experience some nice, warm-weather workouts. It is now July. I think it is currently in the upper 50's. The rain comes and goes, but the clouds won't leave and again I haven't seen the sun in several days. June was a total waste. The stats are in, and there were 4 days in which there was no precipitation, which means 26 days of rain. I am actually surprised there were in fact 4 dry days, because it seemed like a lot less. There were 3 days in which the temperature topped 80 degrees. THREE. That's supposed to be the average high temperature. We've had Novembers with better numbers than that. My father told me that in his lifetime, he doesn't ever remember another stretch so long of such unseasonable weather, and he's obviously been around a lot longer than I have. I am not sure how that knowledge is supposed to help me.

I don't usually mind training in the rain so much, but seriously, give us a break here! It is honestly almost making me want to cry because I know there is nothing I can do about it. There is only so much darkness a person can handle before they start to go completely nuts, and I think I am at my limit. Too bad, because it's supposed to be exactly the same tomorrow. Temps in the low 60's for July, clouds, rain, no sign of sun. Remember those great tan lines from wearing bike shorts? Nope, don't have those. I also have to consider which clothes are going to be warm enough to wear when I go out on my bike.

I've been spending this week at my parents lake house, thinking I could get some good training in, hang out on the boat, read in the sun, get some nice open water swims in. Instead I have found myself trapped inside, putting off my workouts in the hopes of finding a big enough window of no rain and waiting for the choppy waters of the lake to calm down so I might not have to swallow so much of it during my workout. Well, today I managed to ride for an hour before I got poured on. Although somehow it did hold out during my run. It hasn't so much been the volume of rain, just the fact that the sun never, EVER comes out. Then at about 6:00 I gave up waiting for some glassy water and went out and fought the waves and felt nauseated.

I know, just venting and nothing you can do about the weather so it's useless to dwell on it, but seriously, it's been over a month now. ENOUGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment