Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bouncing back from the big weekend

It's been about 48 hours since I finished my last workout of the big training weekend. I guess one advantage to finishing out with a crappy run is that my legs aren't nearly as sore as I might have expected them to be. Yesterday also helped with nothing but a nice, easy recovery swim. Well, maybe it wasn't quite as easy as it could've been because by the time I ventured into the lake I got to fight some serious chop kicked up by the wind. I guess a good thing about it was that it made me feel a little queasy so I certainly wasn't all that hungry afterward.

Today had a bit more training. At some point there will be a swim that I haven't gotten to yet but hopefully will involve calmer waters. But I opted to do my swim/bike workouts first. Nothing but a nice, easy 1-hour recovery ride was first up. It was pretty uneventful with the exception of the older couple who passed me in their pick-up truck, slowed down along side me making me thing maybe they were going to ask me for directions or something (that's happened before) but instead I saw that they were giving me a silent word-mouthing/hand gesture lecture in which all I could make out was the arm-waving and definitely the word "road". Most likely as in, "get off the road!" It drives me crazy when people don't understand that they have to share the road with cyclists, and especially in this case, where I was on a rural road with no shoulder, meaning I had to be in the driving lane, but 1 car might go by every 3-to-5 minutes, so it's not like they didn't have any room to move over a bit and maybe lose .9 seconds on their drive to the bingo hall or the yarn store or wherever it was they might've been going. Also at the time I was a bit more in the road than I otherwise might have been because I was avoiding a runner coming in the other direction. Exactly where did these people expect me to be? I gave them the, "what do you expect me to do?" look/shoulder shrug and they were on their way, surely not having lost any time on their drive except maybe to slow down and berate me through glass for no reason.

But anyway.... After that little ride I had a 45-minute run. I have to alternate my shoes lately because the air is so damp that nothing EVER dries. My heart rate monitor has been driving me crazy lately and I think it might be time for a new one, so the data there was a bit off unless my heart rate actually was 85 for 10 minutes, then 190 for 5 minutes, then 86 for a few more minutes... BUT, in spite of that, I actually felt like I had a good run, which was encouraging. Definitely my fastest pace so far and WAY faster than anything over this past weekend. Let's just hope it wasn't a fluke...

No comments:

Post a Comment