Thursday, June 11, 2009

Recovering...

It has been 3 and a half days since Mooseman and there are still remnants of the race left in me. One of the more obvious would be the open sores on both of my heels caused by my experiment with running sockless for 13.1 miles. For some strange reason I've already decided I will probably try it again, although this time maybe with a different pair of shoes. Second is the incredible amount of sleep I seem to find myself getting and the fact that it only takes me about 15 seconds to fall asleep once I turn out the light. The muscle soreness is gone, but the fatigue is definitely still there. It can be a good feeling though, because at least I know that I went hard on Sunday and have physical proof. Hopefully it doesn't stick around too long, because the past couple of workouts have been a bit rougher than expected.

I have about half the training volume this week compared to what I have to look forward to next week. It's actually kind of funny how much of the time I actually find it more difficult to motivate myself to do the short, easy workouts than I do to do the longer, tougher ones. This is never more evident than during the taper. Some people apparently want to get out and train like crazy during their taper, but I usually feel like I would rather just sleep the entire two weeks leading up to the race. But we're not quite there yet...

So instead I am enjoying the light training week, getting in a few shorter workouts and banking some extra sleep. What also makes the less training easier is that once again the weather SUCKS. I mean, it was nice all weekend, but ever since those clouds rolled in while we were waiting for the Mooseman awards ceremony, I haven't seen the sun. Not for a minute. And it's been in like the 50's and 60's. Seriously, haven't we suffered enough? Is it too much to ask for a little sun when it's June?!?! Tomorrow is actually going to be even worse as it won't just be cloudy, but rainy too. Nice. At least it makes it easier to sleep in while I have the chance since it is not exactly bright and sunny every morning.

We are now closing in on 6 and a half weeks to go before Lake Placid, which seems unbelievable. It seems like it was just last week I was wearing hats and gloves and running in the snow, training for a race that was so far off I might as well not even think about it. But now that it's getting closer it's getting scarier, because most of the work has been done, which seems incredible. There's not a ton of improvement to be gained in these last few weeks because there's just not enough time. Still waiting for that miraculous run workout that makes me feel amazing, and today definitely was not it. Actually, today made me feel like I was 30 pounds heavier and coming off several weeks of no training again, but I'm not going to concern myself with it right now. Hoping it's just the race still in my legs. There is still weight to be lost (feels like there always will be) and that will surely help some. Other than that, just a few more weeks of tough training to go after this little race this weekend, and it's going to be time to taper before I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment