Thursday, July 16, 2009

Half a pound to race weight...

Well, this morning I decided to step on the scale and just check the progress. All season long the routine has been to weigh in on Monday mornings, as for the most part I didn't really want to know the number because it was always higher than I wanted it to be. True to my tradition of somehow dropping quite a bit of weight in the final weeks leading up to my target race, I am now only half a pound over my target. Honestly, it's just unbelievable to me. I was so far gone and out of shape in November when I started attempting to claw my way back to being in some kind of decent shape, I really wasn't sure it was possible that I'd wake up in July and actually be back where I need to be.

I suppose given how incredibly hungry I've been lately it shouldn't surprise me all that much. Actually, I think as a result my workouts have started to suffer a bit. Like today's run workout, for example. First mile: 6:53. Last mile: 9:03. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you're doing it that way, you're doing it wrong. The good news is that tomorrow my legs get a day off. The bad news is that I have a hard swim getting in the way of what could otherwise be a nice rest day. But it should be my last visit to the pool for a while, so hopefully that will motivate me.

And one week from now I will be in Lake Placid. I can't believe it's already here. I especially can't believe that July is more than half over, especially given the total lack of summer up until about a week ago. So hopefully the next week will be enough to get some life back in my still-tired legs. I'm guessing a nice carbo-load won't hurt, either. I go to bed every night dreaming of pancakes... among other things. I mean, you know you're hungry when your pre-run granola bar is such a treat that you feel almost like you're eating a Snickers bar. I sure miss chocolate. I guess I get a bit of it in the form of chocolate Powergel, but somehow it isn't quite the same. Ok, it must be time for me to eat. Unfortunately dinner will be egg whites with spinach, tomatoes, onions and peppers. Maybe the salsa I add will make it feel more interesting than it really is...

1 comment:

  1. wow! you've really done it!!! it will feel so good to hit those hills and not worry about the booty slowing you down ;) congrats. i'll be following you from home. gooooo molly!!!

    ReplyDelete