Saturday, March 28, 2009

Is it time to taper yet?

I know, triathletes usually hate tapering, right? Well, I'm ready for a bit of a break. I still have at least 1 more day of real training to go. I say "at least" because technically I don't know yet what Monday has in store just yet. Under normal circumstances, Monday is just an easy 3000-yard swim, and I'd definitely call that a nice recovery day and just what I'm looking for right now. But my training is delivered to me in 4-week blocks, and I can't yet see past tomorrow. So for all I know it might be an easy swim accompanied by an "easy" 3-hour bike ride and an hour transition run. I don't think that's what it'll be, just saying that it remains to be seen. Whatever the case, as a whole next week should be a whole lot easier, comparatively speaking.

I'm currently finishing up a 4-week build, which is longer than the normal 3 I've been doing since I started in November. Then of course the fun rest week. Again, I think triathletes tend do dread rest weeks, but given the amount of training I've been subjected to at this point in the season, I enjoy every day of those rest weeks. Ok, except maybe for the eating less part, but it's a small price to pay.

Today is Saturday, and for about 5 years now for me, Saturday means long ride day, much like many Ironman triathletes in training. The sun continues to rise earlier and earlier, so I can get started earlier and earlier. Today that was just after 6:30, after a quick breakfast. The best part about the start of the ride was that it was finally above freezing, which meant that I could concentrate on riding rather than wondering how long my water supplies were going to remain drinkable. I had no idea how much mental energy that had drained from me the past couple of weeks until I was riding today and did not have to think about it. I was actually riding a bit faster as a result. It was still only in the high 30's, but this time of year that's not too bad for first thing in the morning. It was also exceptionally foggy this morning, which is another reason I think for the slightly warmer temperatures. The fog stuck around for a good two hours of my ride, and I never saw the sun as it remained overcast. Unfortunately, it also remained pretty cool. It was supposed to get up to around 60 today, but even by the time I was finished it was still only 45 degrees, which I found pretty incredible. But hey, at least it meant that I wasn't overheated in my warm bike clothes. And the other nice thing about fog is that it usually means that there is no wind, which there wasn't today.

So one interesting thing about today's workout was that I spent the final hour on the trainer. This was not by choice. No, this was for a sweat test. Now, anyone who has ridden with me on the trainer or in a spin class knows that I sweat a LOT. We're talking ridiculous puddles under the bike. Honestly, it's almost embarrassing, especially in a 45-minute spin class when I've got a pond under my bike while nobody else seems to have so much as a drop. I'm not sure if it's because I'm working harder than everyone or if I'm just an exceptionally sweaty person. Although even last winter when I often rode my trainer with a group of friends in someone's basement, I'm pretty sure they were working fairly hard, and although they did have sweat on the floor beneath their bikes, nobody even compared to me. They would call it "Lake Zahr" what I would leave behind.

Anyway, as quickly as I could I popped the bike on the trainer and then (here is where I will ask you to turn off your mental imaging. Is it off? Ok, good) I had to weigh myself without clothes and with whatever food I planned to eat, which in this case was just a couple of gels. Then - and this is the really important part - put my clothes back on, and finish out the final hour of the ride. I had to keep track of how much fluid I consumed and then when I was done, I got off, weighed myself without the clothes again, and noted it. Had I not consumed any of the gels I would've weighed myself with those as well, but I absolutely needed them. So easily accounted for by being in my tummy. I consumed 32 ounces of fluid and was still a pound lighter than the first weigh-in. I'm no mathematician, but I think that means I lost 48 ounces of sweat in 1 little hour. That is a lot of sweat.

But of course, the long ride never ends there, no matter how much you want it to. Nope, it was time for the transition run. I thought today I'd finally be able to wear short sleeves, but since it was still in the 40's, I had to settle for just the shorts and long-sleeved shirt. At least there were no running tights or gloves involved. Aside from the fact that about halfway through I sincerely doubted my chances of making it through that run, I did start to feel better and managed to finish.

At the end of any long workout such as that there are always three things I want to do upon finishing: eat something, take a shower and collapse into a heap - not necessarily in that order. It is such a difficult choice to make, and unfortunately they are all pretty much mutually exclusive. Although I've never actually tried eating while in the shower. Maybe it'd work and I just haven't broadened my horizons enough. I suppose I could collapse into a heap and eat, but it's not quite as satisfying as standing in front of the refrigerator and taking whatever you can find in there. As much as I'd love to just collapse, I like the idea of doing that a whole lot better after I'm clean and warm and dry. I got the recovery drink in first. The only problem with showers is that usually it involves standing up. I can't wait until the weather gets a bit warmer and I start spending my weekends up at my parents lake house. After a long ride and run up there I grab my recovery drink, walk straight down to the dock and lower myself into the water, usually with my clothes on. I tell you, that is the way to end a long day of training. It's just too bad that the lake is still solid ice.

My first race of the season is one week from today and that just seems incredible to me. My entire 2008 season was almost a complete disaster. The only bright spot was a tiny little sprint I actually managed to somehow win, but I'm pretty sure only because 99% of the competitors had never done a triathlon before. Just hoping to start things off on the right foot. I just wish that it didn't mean I had to box up my bike and take it on a plane. That was the only good part about not racing Kona last year: when I went to watch, it was the first time I'd gotten on a plane without lugging my bike with me since 2004. However, that little reprieve was not worth not racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment