Sunday, March 29, 2009

Four week build = DONE

I am not sure I can adequately express the relief I felt upon finishing my training earlier today. It has been a tough four weeks, and I am enthusiastically anticipating my taper week. But it has also been a really good four weeks with a whole lot of progress. My run paces seem to have dropped about 30 seconds per mile, and steadily dropping. I can finally really see some serious physical changes in myself from all of this training and watching what I've been eating, plus the accompanied weight loss. I've still got more to lose, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as daunting and I think I have very little left in my wardrobe that I wouldn't be able to fit in. Also, when I finish the race in California next week I might actually find myself able to look at my pictures on asiphoto for the first time since 2007.

So basically, things are going well. I was definitely not excited about my training today. First of all, it was raining. And it dawned on me that I haven't had to deal with training in the rain lately. The good part about the rain is that it is not snow. I had a split run today with a bike ride in between. So first I hit the road at 6:45 for the first, hour-long run. It was in the high 30's then and just sprinkling a bit. I took a short break after that and then decided to do my ride on the trainer. I briefly contemplated going outside, as I often ride in the rain, but my bike was already on the trainer because of the sweat test and I didn't feel like having to clean it up after, so I popped in a movie and started pedaling. I haven't had a trainer ride that was just get on and ride in over a month, and I forgot how mentally painful it really is, especially when you've been doing so much riding outside. At least intervals give you something to do. I set my watch to beep at the end so I didn't have to stare at the time, but at one point I decided to peek and almost got off right then and there when I saw I still had 48 minutes to go. I was just tired. Tired of it. And the part of my body that spends 15 hours a week attached to my bike saddle was not happy. But hey, eating a Clif bar with bare hands when it is sitting on a table next to you is a whole lot easier than digging around a zippered rear jersey pocket with gloves on.

Like always, the time passed eventually, and then I got to change clothes again and head out for my second run. The temperature had not gone up at all, and I was immediately glad I hadn't decided to brave the intermittent sprinkling that had been going on during the first run, because now it was just plain pouring. I didn't care, I was almost done. I love when I hit the turn on an out-and-back and know that all I have to do is run home and I'm done. My shoes were sloshy, my gloves weighed 5 pounds a piece and water was pouring off of my hat, but I was finally all done. I'm exhausted, but I made it through.

Now comes the best part before the race: resting! It's not like I'll be sitting with my feet up all day every day, but I'll be doing a whole lot less than I have been lately. I also have to find some time to get my bike tuned up. Oh, and pack. I made the list already and it never ceases to amaze me how much you have to bring to do a race. I'm leaving for California on Thursday to enjoy some weather in the 70's from what I can tell. It's going to be awfully chilly in the mornings, but for me, it will seem warm. It's time to start a new season!

1 comment:

  1. I talked to Jesse last night and he said in this past month for you, you made HUGE progress. It's inspiring. Isn't crazy how we get so run down and feel like crap but we're making big leaps?!

    You are going to have an amazing season. You already are! :)

    ReplyDelete