Sunday, April 8, 2012

Time for Some Peak Weeks

It blows my mind that it is almost time once again for the peak weeks in leading to my first and hopefully not only A race for the season.  After last year being such a non-season in some ways it feels like it has been an incredibly long time since I've done this, but at the same time, it also feels like familiar territory and it doesn't seem like it could possibly be time again. 

This past week was a much-needed rest week.  Some people hate rest weeks as they drive themselves crazy with all of the extra time.  I've definitely learned to embrace them and enjoy the break I so desperately needed.  I definitely felt tired and beat up for most of it, and it's funny how sometimes it is tougher mentally for me to get through much less training than if I had, say, a five-hour day on tap.  It's like, "Ugh, 90 minutes of easy biking and then 40 minutes of running?  That sounds like a lot!"  Even though in fact it is a huge break. 

But currently I am sitting in my pajamas as I type this because I have an almost unprecedented day off.  For the past few years on Easter I can recall a basement trainer long ride while everyone else was doing whatever they all do for Easter, there was a split long run and a bike ride, total workout time reaching about five hours as I peaked for my disastrous showing at Ironman St. George.  A couple of years ago it was the weekend before IMAZ and I had a hard tempo ride and nothing else the rest of the day that had anything to do with Easter.  Not that I really care that much about Easter now that the bunny has stopped visiting me, but it's nice to have a bit of a break. 

But the break is about to end and it's about to end abruptly.  The next two weeks are full of lots of training, hopefully the likes of which will get me somewhere closer to the triathlon fitness I used to enjoy on the race course.  Will I get there?  I know I can't get all the way back in only six weeks, but hopefully I can get myself closer than I've been for the past couple of years.  The nice weather has been helping, although yesterday was chilly enough that I actually wore tights and long sleeves on my ride.  It was the kind of weather that if I was at home in April I would've been super excited that I could finally wear shorts, but finding it just the opposite here.  Yes, I'm a wimp.  But since the race I'm training for is supposed to be outrageously hot, it's probably not so bad that I'd prefer the warmer weather right now.

That's about it for now.  Hope everyone has a nice Easter, or at least those of you who celebrate it do.

No comments:

Post a Comment