Monday, November 23, 2009

Week 2 begins

Week 2 has begun. Mondays are always the easiest, and today was just a swim with some drills and some lifting. I happened to run into an old friend of mine who taught me an ab workout I am pretty sure I'll be feeling tomorrow and probably even a couple of days after that, but it was good. This particular friend I've known since we were probably 3 or 4, so it's fun to run into people like that. Also funny that the two girls beating themselves up in the weight room used to be the same 2 girls who used to sit around eating Doritos. But hey, we also played outside a lot and rode our bikes all over town back before it was too scary to let kids leave the driveway on their bikes. When I think about sending my 7-year old niece to ride across town on her bike, sans helmet, I can't even imagine such a thing. And yet when I was her age I would routinely ride through the center of town to get to a nearby friend's house. Darn traffic ruins everything.

I had also forgotten to mention that yesterday when I was out on my bike, which was fairly late in the afternoon, I seemed to have picked a time where everyone in town was out for a walk. I guess I can't blame them, given the fact that we've been particularly lucky with the weather lately, but it's just unusual for me to come across so many other people out and about when I'm doing my training. And not only was everyone walking their dogs, but I actually saw someone out walking their miniature horse. Or maybe it was a pony. I'm not really sure. I just know that the only thing stranger than that I've seen as far as walking animals was years ago when I saw someone out walking their monkey (why does that sound dirty?) It was less than a mile from my house and I only saw it that one time.

Also on the agenda for this week is Thanksgiving. How did that happen already? But who can think about Thanksgiving when it seems the whole world just wants us to skip straight ahead from Halloween to Christmas? Seriously, why does it all have to start so early? Do you start celebrating Halloween the minute Labor Day ends? Let's just get right into 4th of July the minute Memorial Day is over. Really, it's just getting a little out of hand. But anyway... Thanksgiving will be spent where it always has been, at my grandmother's house. Oh, I guess way back when my dad's parents were still alive we had Thanksgiving with them a couple of times, but mostly it has always been at Nana's. Oh, and also except for that one that I spent at Denny's with my cousins when I lived in Los Angeles. I was 21 years old, I wasn't going to cook a turkey. I'm not sure how many of us there are going to be this year, but it should be plenty, as usual. Either way there will be lots of turkey, which is all I really care about.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you're happy to be back at it! It's So true about things being different...I used to ride all over town too...also sans helmet. I won't let my 3 boys out of my sight and one of them is 10. Sad.
    Enjoy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete