Thursday, November 12, 2009

"Cartoons lose weight easily"

One of my favorite things is the disclaimer that usually sits at the bottom of any ad for some sort of quick-fix weight loss product. You know those products: take this magical pill and lose 20 pounds in 1 month! This particular ad had a before and after of a woman who was, like in all of these things, quite chubby in the before picture, and quite a lot thinner in the after. The only thing was, she was a cartoon drawing. So the fine print at the bottom of the page read: "Results not typical. Cartoons lose weight easily. Real people need diet and exercise to lose weight." Really? I never knew that before. I just found it hysterical that they were quite so blunt with it.

Yes, real people do need to diet and exercise in order to lose weight. The thing is, you actually have to be diligent about it. It is actually almost maddening when you realize that you had the power to do it all along, you were just unwilling. I say maddening because it would be nice if there actually was some kind of quick fix or pill you could take, but there just isn't. Needless to say, I will not be purchasing myself any Slimquick. Unless I wake up sometime in the near future and find that I've turned into a cartoon. But I suspect that would first require my taking an entirely different kind of pill...

What else? Oh, just the usual lately, training only enough to keep me partially sane. I'm swimming very slowly, still taking out my mountain bike because it's so darn fun even if I'm on a really old bike I've had since 7th grade, and finding running to be amazingly not the out-of-body experience I usually find it to be when coming back from a running lay-off. And this is especially amazing because honestly, usually even after 6 days of not running I feel like I'm a mess trying to run, and yet after over 7 weeks straight of no running (unless you count floating around in an aqua-jogging belt while kicking my legs madly in the water) it actually feels... fine. I'm not even that slow - for me, anyway. On Monday things kick off for real and I can't wait to get started!

2 comments:

  1. it's encouraging to hear you say that about your run right now!!! (as I sit here with my foot aching...grrrrr)
    those lose weight things drive me nuts...pretty comical about the cartoon...haven't seen that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I have this theory about why moms come back stronger after having a baby--. I really, really think it has to do with forcing the body to heal for the 4-5 months during which they can't really run. So it doesn't surprise me that after seven weeks you actually feel good on the run. Your body is rested, healed and ready to go--which is very good since the training really starts next week! yikes!

    ReplyDelete