Monday, November 16, 2009

Day 1: anticipating the soreness

Today was the first day of "real" training for the season. Honestly though, it didn't really feel like it. For starters, my swim, while more difficult than what I've been doing, was actually less yardage than I've done in the last few workouts. We're literally talking about 150 yards less, but less is still less. It also involved a time trial effort, which went quite well for about the first 100 until I just had nothing to push with. Apparently that's just what's going to happen on my first attempt at a hard effort in anything in 5 weeks. But all in all, not a bad little workout and at least it felt like it had a purpose.

After that it was time to head to the weight room. I actually kind of missed lifting since it's been so long. I had 12 weeks of it to start last season, then I think maybe 2 weeks back at it in August, so this is not something that has been part of the normal rotation for a long time. I didn't feel like doing it, but once I got in there I actually kind of enjoyed it. It was all light and easy, so perhaps that's why. I even did some core work, which made me very aware that I hadn't done that in a long time, either. I feel nothing yet, but I am already dreading the soreness that awaits me when I wake up tomorrow morning and then get to bike and run. It's going to be great, though. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment