Friday, September 11, 2009

Apparently fall is here

It's amazing to me how it is almost as though a switch is thrown and suddenly 90-degree days turn so quickly into dry, crisp days and the leaves on the trees changing colors. I actually really love fall. I love the weather - it hasn't rained a drop in nearly two weeks - I love the trees, I love the fall food... but I'm not really ready for it all just yet. The running weather is absolutely perfect. Or at least it would be for anyone who is not currently training to run a marathon at high noon on shadeless pavement under blazing sun, temperatures in the 90's and oppressive humidity. I actually lucked out the first year I raced in Kona as most of September was incredibly hot and humid and I got a lot of 85-90-degree runs in during the final few weeks of training.

The one thing I am definitely not ready for with this weather, is riding my bike in the cold. I was thinking last week as I pedaled along in the warm sun and temperatures in the mid 70's how much more pleasant riding my bike can be when the weather is nice. Then this past Tuesday morning I went out very early and after about 20 minutes I couldn't feel my fingers. That's just one of the reasons that these last few weeks of training are always so difficult for me.

This week was just more of the same, typical mass quantities of training. I won't bore you with the details. I hit the track yesterday morning, this time bright and early because now that school is back in session I have to make sure I get things done before kids start having gym class out there. I forgot how much I love running first thing in the morning. Given that almost every single run I do now comes after at least a 2-hour bike ride, I don't get to do it really ever. But there is nothing like running when the sun comes up... or sometimes before.

The good thing about fall is now I can go back to one of my favorite cooking things: soup! A nice, big vat, one afternoon of work, lunch and dinner for days! I'm thinking my first project for the season is going to be butternut squash and apple soup. It's been too long, and it is so easy and delicious. Another favorite is turkey chili, but that is a bit more labor intensive, although certainly more of a meal.

I'm boring even myself right now with this post, so I think that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment