Saturday, January 9, 2010

Week 1 almost done

The first full week of the new year is almost behind me. Wow, it has not been easy. I still can't shake this cough. Got some blood work done and found out that my iron levels are not even close to low, so that's a good thing. Doesn't help to solve the problem, though.

I also really just felt the need to amend something I wrote in my last post. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who decides to take control of their own health and go to the gym and start exercising. A lot of the fittest people among us were once afraid to go to the gym and felt out of place going there for a while. The thing that bothers me are the people who so predictably show up literally for three weeks of the year and then completely disappear again, maybe to return next new year's or a few other random days in between. We all have to start somewhere, but it's just annoying this first week when you know so many of these people are just taking up space before their inevitable return to hitting the snooze button.

Really that's about it. It's 7pm on Saturday night and I'm seriously thinking about going to sleep. I've got the first 2-hour run I'll have been on since I think two weeks before I got my awesome stress fracture, so it should be interesting. It was a heck of a lot warmer back then, though. I also need to figure out a solution to this issue I've been having on my cold-weather runs. I keep wearing this Gore-tex shell jacket that is pretty much warm enough to handle anything. (I've run in it down to -18 actual air temp) But lately, since it hasn't been super cold, I'll just wear a regular long-sleeve run top underneath it and then the jacket. It will get too hot under there if I wear something thicker. Except by the end of runs lasting close to the 1-hour+ range, it seems the sweat all collects on the front of the shirt and winds up literally turning to ice. Let's just say my tummy is a bit chilly by the end. Is winter over yet?

1 comment:

  1. You are so much nicer than me. I still want all of the New Year's resolution people to go home. :)
    The same thing happens in May when people start training for Danskin...
    BUT YES-we all started there. So I'm not being fair.

    ReplyDelete