Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rest week and time for more snow

I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with the weather reports. It's sort of important with all of the outdoor training. Ok, so there is a lot less of the outdoor training going on in the winter, but I'm still outside running at least 4 days a week. This past Saturday I probably could've even ridden outside if it weren't for the fact that I'm trying to get proficient on the Powercranks and I'm scared to death of riding them outside. But Monday all I had to do was swim and lift, so what the heck do I need to know the weather for? Oh, maybe because you have to drive to the gym for those things. So when my alarm went off on Monday morning and I looked outside to see about 5" of fresh snow and plenty more coming down I was just a little bit surprised. I guess maybe I should've checked out the news the night before instead of watching the Golden Globes. But hey, I actually saw a whole lot of the nominated movies, so it was just more fun to watch that instead.

Monday was also sort of a holiday for some people, so needless to say, when I arrived at the gym after driving very slowly on many roads that hadn't even been plowed yet, I was just about the only person there. No interruptions for anything. It was nice to get it all done. More slow driving on the way home, and then it was time to turn onto my street. The thing about my road is that you turn onto it and go straight up a hill. There is zero possibility of getting any kind of momentum going for this ascent, which means that my no-snow-tires little Nissan Sentra does not do so well on it. Attempt #1 was the best one. I made the left hand turn and the car slowly skidded off to the right side of the road, but I managed to straighten it to point up and slowly but surely made my way closer and closer to the top before finally it was nothing but spinning tires and no forward progress.

Great. Back up and let's try this again. Attempt #2 was another no-go, only this time I didn't even get nearly as far up as I had on the first try. For attempt #3 I decided to maybe try coming in after taking a right onto my road, but the momentum just carried me straight over to the left side of my road and hardly up the hill in the slightest. I tried from that side again. Nope. I went further down the road to get some more momentum going to try and make the left again. Nope. I'm not sure how many times I tried to get up that unplowed street, but it finally did become apparent that it just wasn't going to happen. It should be noted that it was like 6:30 in the morning when all of this fancy driving was taking place, so I had a lot of room to work with and didn't have to worry about lots of cars. I finally decided to give up, which meant parking my car at the supermarket around the corner and walking home the half-mile through the unplowed streets and driveway. It was at that point in the adventure that I sincerely wished I'd worn socks that morning.

So anyway, that was my Monday morning. It continued to snow all day and then it snowed again all day yesterday. Yesterday I was able to make it up my street because it was actually plowed, but I couldn't get up the hill into the garage. Yes, my car is awesome in the snow. Fortunately, I'm ok in the snow on my feet so I was fine to run yesterday. I just could've done without the people driving by and splattering me with slush.

This week is my rest week, and I am sincerely thrilled about that. It also marks the last week in base training, which means I've already been at it for 10 weeks, which seems almost impossible but true. Just in the last few days I've finally started to feel a lot better. I don't know if it's because I finally pretty much got over my cold or if the training is just finally kicking in, but probably a combination of both. But we'll see how things go once we add in the intensity. I am way too close to my first Ironman of the season. It doesn't seem possible yet!

Oh, and thanks to my rest week, today was my monthly rest day. I decided to just sleep until I woke up. The result? 11 hours of sleep. Nicely done.

1 comment:

  1. I've done that before, only it was with a rented Dodge/Plymouth Neon, and I was trying to negotiate the ice-covered 45-degree incline to my aunt and uncle's place outside Moscow, Idaho. I left it at the base of the hill and hitched a ride with my uncle. The next day, it had this temporary orange paint on it, courtesy of the state police identifying abandoned vehicles.

    ReplyDelete