Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Rest of 2012...

The other day I sat down and finished up making all of the arrangements and paying all remaining entry fees for the rest of my season, and a bit into 2013.  It made me realize why this sport is full of people who earn lots and lots of money.  It's expensive!  If I hadn't been such a good saver once upon a time, I'd be in real trouble right now.  The fact of the matter is that I'll probably have to really cut back on any camps or excess travel next year, but for now, the worst of the damage has been done.  I felt like I wanted one really awful credit card payment so that next month I may feel like I'm under the illusion of actually making a bit of money.  But truthfully my account is about to have the least amount of money in it I think there has ever been.  I sure wish I had that Ironman CDA unused entry fee back from 2011.  And Timberman from 2011 AND 2010.  And other races maybe that I did but shouldn't have.

If anything, I should use this as incentive to really nail my training.  I've invested way too much money to waste it!  So what does this all entail?  Let's see....  August will be somewhat busy including my first return to race Timberman since 2008.  The last time I raced Timberman was the one time I actually cried on the run course.  I also managed to spend more time on the run course than the bike course.  Let's hope I do not have a repeat.  The week after that is QT2 camp in Vermont.  Again, I can't really afford this but at the same time I think I need the group training environment as much as possible right now.  I've always been a real loner when it comes to training, but to get back where I need to be the group thing seems to be doing me some good.

September will involve a trip to Phoenix for the first time in five years to do a training camp for Ironman Arizona.  This is necessary to obtain my sneaky entry.  Well, not that sneaky, it's pretty well advertized.  Technically I don't have to DO the camp to get the entry, but if the money is being paid, I'll be doing the camp.  I'll fly from there to Orange County for the staggeringly low price of $61 thanks to Southwest, where I'll spend the weekend doing a half ironman out there with Michelle and Jen.

I'll then fly home for a couple of weeks before boarding some very long flights to Kona.  Mary and I spent the weekend joking about how ridiculous it is that we're going to Kona.  She says it's like we're acting like high rollers and we are definitely not.  Seriously, when I bought my car last year they very nearly didn't give me a loan because of my income.  Fortunately my credit score is outstanding or I might have to ride the Cervelo everywhere.  That would've been a long ride to Texas.  We are definitely crazy for going, but it's still going to be lots of fun and I plan to make the most of it.  My biggest training weeks for Ironman Arizona just happen to coincide with my trip over there, so it will work out perfectly.  I also plan on doing some surfing.  I've been surfing a few times back here in NH, but it is certainly not the same!

So, once I return from 12 (wait, TWELVE?  Who do I think I am?) days in Hawaii, I'll basically be back for a few weeks of tapering and whining about training in the cold and dark before going back to Arizona for another Ironman.  The first thing I said to a good friend of mine at the finish line in '07 there was, "Don't EVER do this race," because I found it so unpleasant.  But, well, the timing is right and I know the course and know I can go fast there.  It is also the site of my first major disappointment in a race.  I had huge hopes for that one, and I completely blew my legs apart on the bike trying to fight the wind.  I 'fell apart' to a 3:47 marathon.  I really wish that was still my fall apart marathon time!  We're getting there :)

After that, I will be coming home to sleep for many days and have Thanksgiving before gearing up for 2013.  I'll be racing again in Galveston and at Ironman Texas.  I honestly thought I would hate that race, and nothing could be further from the truth.  In fact, I obviously enjoyed both of those enough to go back.  But rest assured: I will be flying there!

No comments:

Post a Comment