Friday, February 4, 2011

Yes, it's even cold in Tucson

I realize that this post is unlikely,  to garner sympathy from anyone based on what the weather is like in much of the rest of the country just consider it more of a commentary on the weather rather than me complaining about it. 

First of all, this blast of cold weather had perfect timing for me since it was a rest week with a lot less training than normal and only three days where I had to get in the outdoor pool instead of six.  I will say that it has been somewhat amusing to see the reaction on the news just because it's going to be 20 degrees at night.  To be fair, this almost never happens, so when it does it's apparently a big deal, but they are treating it much like those wonderful New England weather men who like to update you throughout the day during a storm in case you hadn't looked out your window recently and didn't already know that it was still snowing.  Schools have even been canceled.  Yes, just because it's cold.  Ok, so it has to do with the fact that the pipes are frozen and there is no heat or water, but still.  Yeah, their pipes freeze when it's 20 degrees.  Can you imagine if that happened in New England?  I will say though that waking up to a 42 degree living room isn't that fun, but fortunately the heater works.... I just have to turn it on!

I have to admit though that already I've become a wimp when it comes to the cold.  Barely more than a month ago I wouldn't have thought twice about hitting the road for a morning run when it was 18 degrees out.  Suddenly I just can't stand the thought of it.  And it's not that I don't have the gear for it, because I had the foresight to pack clothes for just this kind of situation.  I just don't want to have to use them!  I also didn't bring a particularly warm jacket with me.  But even when it was 30 during the day, the sun did make it feel pretty warm. 

I will say that on the days I have swum this week it has made a great difference in lane availability.  Not that it's usually amazingly crowded, it's just that there seem to be a lot fewer souls willing to bear the cold weather to get in.  I'm honestly not really sure why.  The pool itself remains toasty warm.  I feel worse for the lifeguards who appear to have been wearing every piece of clothing they own.  Although getting in and out while walking on ice and changing in an outdoor changing room with icicles coming off the faucets is slightly less than inviting.  As was that big sign out front informing me that "Toilets and showers are frozen."  Fortunately, After a quick change I was home two minutes later and in my own warm shower. 

Hmmm... that's about it, I guess.  I continue to cringe every time I see more bad weather heading to the northeast, knowing how I'd feel if I was there.  Except maybe I'd be getting some good skiing in, not sure.  I'd probably mostly be watching bad movies on the trainer in my basement and wondering why I do what I do.  That's about it from here, a little training, a little freezing, and a little boredom. 

1 comment:

  1. This is me whimpering. whimper. whimper. You absolutely chose the right winter to leave. It is ... so awful!! whimper. sniff. whimper. My 10 mile road race scheduled for sunday was just canceled b/c there is not enough room on the roads with the snow banks to accommodate cars and the runners. :(

    It does suck that it's cold there, though. I'm not sure I could do the swimming pool outside thing if I had to tip toe across ice to get in. I have a hard enough time getting in when I'm inside!

    ReplyDelete