Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tucson is much warmer than New England

I have toolbar on my internet browser that includes a little weather icon that shows me the temperature and a sun, clouds, rain, snow, whatever the weather may be.  Of course it was originally set for New Hampshire, and I didn't bother to change it when I got here.  On Saturday morning I woke up and saw that it was two degrees out.  By the end of my long ride it was in the low 70's here.  And today, when once again it was snowing and sleeting and freezing raining back home, it was about 75 on my ride.  That's actually a bit unseasonably warm for this time of year around here, but I will definitely take it. 

So, as you can imagine, things are going pretty well.  It's quite apparent based on the weather reports and 20" of snow in one storm that I made the right decision by coming here.  I'm already working on my funny tan lines, most notably the one on my face, where you can certainly tell which part of my face is covered by my helmet and sunglasses on every ride.  I'm getting used to riding the rough pavement that is the only downside really to riding in Tucson.  It's not the entire ride, but some good stretches.  I've found some roads that have made me feel like I'm the only person left on Earth, been chased by a couple of stray dogs, and on Saturday mornings I usually see some hot air balloons out for a ride early in the morning. 

Of course, I'm sure everyone has heard by now what happened here in Tucson just over a week ago.  I was long gone on my bike ride and had no idea anything was going on until I returned that afternoon and turned on the TV.  It's definitely strange to think that that morning when I was riding out that shooter was at the Walmart down the street trying to buy his ammunition.  And a reporter came by the pool one morning because apparently the judge who was killed swam there in the mornings, and the little girl who died was also a member there.  Both of their funerals were at the church about a half-mile down the road from me.  In fact, an ill-timed run of mine had me dodging hundreds of early arrivals and news vans. 

Anyway, enough about that.  I'm sorry I don't have pictures to upload.  More accurately, I don't have a way to upload them.  I will say that it is pretty here in a very different way than New Hampshire.  And I like it a lot better than Phoenix.  I had a decent swim this morning and a good ride this afternoon and now I'm very much enjoying having my feet up.  Yep, things are going pretty well.

3 comments:

  1. good for you. What are your plans this season? Do you have an ironman on the docet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? You don't miss trucks whizzing by you and spraying you with waves of icy cold dirty slush? But it's so fun!
    jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And today, when once again it was snowing and sleeting and freezing raining back home, it was about 75 on my ride."


    PPPHHHHFFFFFFFTTTTT!

    ReplyDelete