Sunday, December 5, 2010

2011 begins tomorrow

Tomorrow is the beginning of my training for the 2011 season.  I had a good conversation with my coach about a week ago and we have laid out what should be a very busy schedule, but hopefully a good one.  I have to say, at the moment I feel so far removed from any racing that it might as well have been years ago that I set foot on the start line.  In fact, it was three months ago today... and that was also the day of a pretty horrible event, but let's not get into that right now. 

So my key race for the year will be Ironman Cour D'Alene.  I have to admit that when I heard this was the race that most of my fellow teammates would be doing, I wasn't really that excited about it.  I don't know why.  In fact, I wasn't going to sign up for it.  But then, when it came time to figure out my schedule for next year, I couldn't really figure out which other race to target.  There was always Utah again, but let's just say that although someday I would do that race again, I'm not incredibly anxious to revisit the sight of the longest time I've ever spent on a race course.  And that was with perfect weather.  Just imagine that course with less-than-favorable weather conditions!

I guess there was that new race in Texas, but that didn't really spark any interest in me either.  There was always Lake Placid.  But seriously, that would make it my eighth year in a row going there.  Isn't that just a tad bit excessive?  While it is the sight of my greatest triathlon accomplishment it is also the sight of my most bitter disappointments.  So, what was left?  Cour D'Alene.  Ok, so I guess I'll be visiting Idaho for the first time in my life. 

Aside from that there will be a lot of 70.3's which will be nice because just as I was typing that I realized that I did exactly... ONE of those this year.  The plan for next year?  If all goes as scheduled, five of them.  That's a bit of an increase. 

Also on the docket of course is that three months I'll be spending in Tucson.  I can't believe that I will be leaving in three weeks.  I need this excursion right now more than anything.  I don't think that at any point in my starting to do these races that I have ever felt like less of a triathlete than I do right now.  While that is certainly the case, I can also say that I have probably also never been more rested than I am right now.  Usually I finish up a season with an Ironman when I'm exhausted and sick of my bike and never want to drink Gatorade again for the rest of my life.  I couldn't tell you the last time I had some sports drink. 

So, this could all be a really great place to start or a really terrible one.  I don't know.  I'll let you know in April.  Actually, hopefully I will be a much better blog updater when I get out there.  If for no other reason than to make those of you riding your trainers while it snows outside insanely jealous.  That, and I'll be there by myself, so what else do I have to do while I'm not training? 

So tomorrow is the beginning of what I guess I can consider my last chance season.  If it goes well, fine.  Good.  Let's keep at it.  If not?  Well, I don't know yet.  But hopefully I'll never have to figure that out.

2 comments:

  1. I actually think you're going to like CDA. It is very very beautiful there. I loved the course--I loved it more than LP, although that is all I have to compare it to.
    I will be reading your updates from Tucson, and I will BE SO JEALOUS I am sure.
    I'm just starting up training, too. I still haven't broken out the gel or the sport drink. I just can't do it.

    ReplyDelete