Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Getting closer every day...

I'm tapering... sort of. It's that annoying week that technically is tapering but to most people, including myself, still seems like a pretty darn full taper week. But at least I get to cross little stuff off the list. For example, this morning I completed the infamous swim set named the monster set for the last time before the race. 4900 yards and swim paddles that I won't have to see for a while. Yesterday was the last run that was more than 60 minutes, and tomorrow caps off at 60 and then there won't be any more beyond 45. If only I didn't still have to ride for 4 hours on Saturday I'd feel pretty well free and clear.

But it's so close now. I'm trying to get plenty of sleep and trying not to hurt myself. Somehow I have wound up as the only one amongst my siblings who is not currently on crutches. My older sister broke her foot a few weeks ago, and my younger brother sprained his ankle quite badly the other night in a rec basketball game. Let's home this trend of one-legged Zahr children does not reach all of us. I was on crutches once for about a day-and-a-half in college when I sprained my ankle in a basketball game. They sucked far worse than limping did, so I went with that instead.

The weather has been cooperating lately, which has made things easier. If you want some more interesting reading about New Hampshire triathletes heading to Utah, then check out http://trentandkevinimutah.blogspot.com/ written by two of my occasional training partners and fellow QT2 team members who are embarking on their first Ironman. Somehow I convinced them it would be fun. We're all traveling together, so that should be fun.

Speaking of Utah, the bib numbers are up and I will be #218 for this one. For the first time ever I am not one of the highest numbers in the race, but rather one of the lowest. If only this kind of good fortune would befall me when it involves swim waves. I actually got nervous for a minute and thought they lumped me with the pros. Thankfully, this was not the case.

So 1 week from today I'll be in Utah resting up for the big day. It all seems so strange to be doing an Ironman already, and one that has never been done before. It will certainly be interesting.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh...the taper. I so look forward to it, but you are right...it never really feels like a taper. I hope Utah is amazing. I hope to add that one to my list in the next couple of years.

    Good luck. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear about the race, I have family out there and if the course and conditions are awesome I may consider it in the future. Keep us all posted, you will do awesome, as usual.

    ReplyDelete