Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Zahr women and our broken feet

Don't worry, I am still intact as of now. If you know my recent history, you'll know that I suffered a stress fracture in September, four weeks before Kona. Oddly enough, a few months earlier, my mother managed to brake a bone in her foot when she slipped on some ice. Well, even more of a coincidence is that yesterday my sister somehow managed to brake her foot while jumping rope with my niece. Talk about a freak accident. In Mom's case, it meant a knee-length boot for several weeks that she often chose not to bother to wear. In my case, it was a much more simple velcro shoe that was actually understated enough to sort of look like a sandal as I limped around Hawaii. In my sister's case it means 6 weeks in a full-on cast and crutches. Yikes. Apparently my mother and I are lucky that we did not injure the 5th metatarsal, as it is the worst one to brake because it takes the most time to heal. I don't know how we all managed to do that in such a short span of time, but it's kind of crazy. I just hope that this pattern doesn't continue, especially since this winter instead of braking something my mother decided to injure her knee and require a little surgery. I think the rest of us can do without that. The only really good news in my sister's case is that she is due to get the cast off just before her family trip to Disney World.

What else? Not much aside from amazing weather - I mean, how often is it this nice on St. Patrick's Day? It's been in the 60's and as sunny as can be. It rained enough for the entire month just over the weekend, as evidenced by the random lakes where there were no lakes I keep passing on my bike rides. And this weekend I will play a game called let's see which parts of my favorite bike routes I can actually ride and which ones were washed out by floods during my long ride. It was so strange to run in shorts today and be totally warm in the sun. Hopefully my skin absorbs some of it. If nothing else, I'm sure I can certainly use the vitamin D.

Oh, and still trying to adjust to this clock change. It's driving me crazy. Last night I managed to fall asleep really early, but it only lasted me until 12:45am and that was pretty much it for the night. I wish I'd known that lying there with my eyes closed would turn out to be a futile effort, maybe I could've gotten out of bed and done something constructive. Hopefully this means that tonight I'll actually sleep through the night. But hey, at least the clock change means the weather is improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment