Sunday, August 9, 2009

Back at it

I suddenly remembered sometime mid-week that this is definitely the quickest I've ever jumped back into "real" training after an Ironman. The first week after I did about the same amount as I have always done, the difference this time being that I was told what to do instead of just kind of doing what I felt like. It all pretty much added up the same either way. Except, of course, for that whole thing about riding my bike the day after the race. But usually that "do what I feel like doing" thing is the way I would go at it for at least another week, but now I am paying someone who seems to know what he's doing to tell me what I should be doing, and he had me back on the structured training starting last Monday, so of course I did what he said.

I hate starting the training back up after a big race. Especially when the race went well and you felt good, you suddenly wonder where the heck that nice, tapered, invincible feeling went. Everything seems hard again. Monday started me off with a 2 and a half hour bike ride, which normally I could almost do in my sleep. It didn't go too badly, certainly slower than it would've been a few weeks ago, but by about 6:30 that night I was wondering why suddenly all I wanted to do was go to sleep. I'm wondering if it was because I had just done my first workout of any significant duration. It's funny how certain things take more out of you than they used to when it hasn't even been that long.

But oh, Tuesday it was time to go out and run. That did not go so well. First, my foot is still, um, off I guess would be a good word for it. It hurts sometimes when I step wrong or twist it in some weird way, but for the most part I can run without it bothering me at all. Except I think I've started altering my stride to compensate, because with the issue being on the outside of the foot, I seem to have developed a blister the size of a quarter on the inside part of my heel. It was impressive enough that I considered taking a picture of it, but thought maybe I should spare anyone the sight. So I set off for my run, which was to be 1:20, nice and aerobic. I have an issue with starting up running again after any amount of time off, it suddenly feels like an out-of-body experience. It's like I completely forget how to do it. The first mile wasn't terrible. I actually don't quite remember where exactly things started to get really, really bad, but I do know that almost immediately my pace began to slow. I stopped once or twice to adjust my shoe. Then at the halfway point I decided to stop completely for a minute or two and see if that made me feel any better. Of course, I had to sort of pretend I was looking at the horses on the farm I happened to stop near, so anyone passing by in a car wouldn't offer me a ride home. Because, you know, I may have taken them up on it.

But hey, had to get home somehow. I took off again, at a continually decreasing pace. A couple of miles later, I spotted a nice, perfect seat-level guard rail in the shade next to the lake. So I decided to sit on it for a few minutes. Maybe just to adjust my laces. Yeah, right. Ok, still close to two miles from home, with no possible shorter route to get there. Unless I swam, which actually might have been quicker, even with my running shoes on. Less than a mile later, I sat down again. I don't know what exactly was the matter with me, I just felt like crap. It was hot, I was sweaty, I was thirsty, I wasn't used to actually training... but had to get up and run just one more little mile. Again, I could've probably swum a faster mile, but I did eventually make it home and enjoyed the sweet taste of my Endurox and hoped that the next run would be better.

Thankfully, it was. I'm still not doing great, and I can tell that even though there is no pain I am still compensating for my foot issue, but I haven't had to sit down in the middle of another run, or even entertained the thought.

Also this week I've had to get back into the weight room. I hadn't been in the weight room since the end of January, and I didn't miss it. I mean, I guess I miss the feeling of being stronger, but on a nice summer day just about the last place I want to be is inside a gym lifting weights. At least it wasn't any heavy lifting and it doesn't really take too long. Did some swimming in the lake without my wetsuit since it's gotten pretty warm and of course my next big race will be done without it, so I'd better get used to swimming without that crutch.

My bike rides got increasingly better as the week went along and yesterday I met up with a few people to ride the Timberman course. I will be racing the sprint in two weeks and I'm doing the half as a relay, of course the bike portion. Have you ever done a relay? I did it once, and I remember thinking before that maybe I would feel guilty about not doing the whole race, but I didn't at all. It was fantastic. Get to T2, hand off the chip, let someone else run 13.1 miles while me and the swimmer get to go be the first ones in line for the post-race food. Maybe I'll feel different this time because it's Timberman, and since it was my second race ever - first half - in 2002, I have done it every year. Seven times. The first year I was almost positive I was going to die during the race, but I finished, and found that there was pretty much no food left by the time I got there and almost everyone was gone. At least my parents were there to take me out for ice cream. Then last year was a complete and total disaster that marked rock bottom for me and my triathlon career. For some reason though, I just really love that race. I'm glad I'm going to get to do it again next year. Currently, I am glad that I am not racing the half, but I may change my mind come race day, not that there is anything I can do about it.

Anyway, me, my QT2 teammate Michelle, and Hannah and Noah who recently joined, headed out at about 8:00. First of all, the weather was gorgeous. It really has been finally for about the last week or so. We are finally getting our summer after missing out on the first 6 weeks. There were also way more people out there riding than I had ever seen. Not that it was crowded, there were just tons of cars and lots of athletes out training. After only one wrong turn, we had a pretty good ride. I started to get the tunnel-vision in the last 3 miles or so, and if that stretch hadn't been downhill I'm not sure I would've made it, but at least I didn't have to run afterward. I was TIRED though. It's funny how something so simple, like riding my bike 5 and a half hours, normally an "easy" long ride, suddenly can take so much out of me after not doing it for a couple of weeks!

And today, well, recovery ride and a nice long run. Maybe not "nice" but at least still better than before, and we're heading in the right direction. So my first "real" week back at training is done, and I am of course wishing I had a few more weeks to prepare for Kona. I officially completed my registration today, booked my flight earlier this week, confirmed my spot in the QT2 team rental house, so there is no turning back now. More real training this week, including a 5K on Thursday night... which I am of course not looking forward to. Seriously, how is it that I dread 20 minutes of pain more than, say, a half marathon that takes at least 90 minutes?

2 comments:

  1. no updates? or you up to secret training?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I've been slow, the weather has been too nice! I started writing a post the other day, maybe I will finish it tonight...

    ReplyDelete