Friday, May 15, 2009

Getting on a plane... again

Tomorrow I am off to Disney World. I must reiterate that it is simply a coincidence that the Florida/Disney 70.3 is taking place this weekend. I am NOT, I repeat: NOT racing this weekend! Jeez, people, I just did a half two weeks ago. I may be crazy on many levels, but I am certainly not crazy enough to be doing yet another half ironman this spring. I mean, it's only three weeks until Mooseman!

My bike, of course, is not yet packed. Oh, and neither is anything else. There's some stuff laid out, but none of it is packed in anything. I must say, although I know for a fact that I am going to have fun this week, I am seriously looking forward to an extended period of time in which I do not have to get on an airplane, take my bike apart or go to the airport. For at least the next 6 months any races I am planning on doing involve me driving my own car. Nice.

One good thing about this trip though is that aside from the obvious of not having a race to worry about, I don't have to do any workouts in the morning before I leave. I have to swim tomorrow, but my pool won't be open before I leave and why would I want to waste time that way when I can swim outside when I get to Florida? I just have to be extra careful with the sunscreen as anything outside the usual tri outfit has not seen the sun since October.

This morning I got my last workouts out of the way. First up was a nice, 4500-yard swim workout that included 30x50 on 50 seconds. Did I mention how much I hate trying to go fast? Because I do. Really, the shorter the interval, the more I dislike it. I am convinced I have some sort of sprint-speed impossibility disorder. My pace for all-out 50's seems just about the same as for all-out 100's, which in turn is only barely faster than my pace for an 800 time trial., and it all works out to just plain too slow! I just love swimming year after year and never getting any faster. At least I stopped at mid-pack swimmer for the most part instead of back of the pack!

Then it was just an easy bike and run and everything in the laundry so that there are only clean things for the trip and for when I get back. If nothing else, all of this traveling forces me to remain organized and on top of the laundry. I hope to take some good pictures on this trip and to somehow manage to have some family fun in between the slightly-more-than 27 hours of training I have to get in while I'm there. I'm thinking I might be the one who gladly volunteers to "watch" my 3-year old nephew while he takes his afternoon naps. He'll probably be the one waking me up, ready to hit the road again with some sort of train or car wrapped up in each of his little fists.

Talk to you from down south!

No comments:

Post a Comment