Monday, February 2, 2009

Groundhog Day

When was the last time you really sat down and watched the movie "Groundhog Day"? Because it really is a great movie. Highly recommended. And really, not just watching it in pieces when it is on TBS, but sit down and watch the whole thing.

Anyway, enough about that. The groundhog saw his shadow, surprise, surprise. All I can ever really think about on this day though is that it would be a miracle if there were only six weeks left of winter, and that's supposed to be the bad news. Although today it was in the upper 30's and I am not lying when I say that it honestly felt genuinely warm out. At one point I went outside in a t-shirt and I was fine. This is of course the only day this week in which I did not have any outdoor workouts, but the good news is that the snow storm we were supposed to get tomorrow night is instead blowing out to sea and sparing us from its wrath.

Mondays are my new super easy training day. An easy swim and that's it. It's kind of nice and gives me a reason to look forward to Mondays for the first time in my life, but it always seems to go by all too quickly. Mondays actually were my biggest training days for a couple of seasons. This was when I followed the less-standard training schedule that did not involve following up the Saturday long ride with the Sunday long run, but rather had the long run happen in the middle of the week. So Mondays would be something like, swim 5500 yards, lift weights, run 10-12 miles and then ride 60-70. Do I need to tell you that I was tired after all of that? And there is something about the fact that it was so many separate workouts that made it seem that much more daunting. Not the case anymore. Now on Mondays I only have to take 1 shower, which is pretty incredible.

I've also moved on from my initial 12 weeks of base training to the build phase. Things are going to get a lot harder and a lot more intense, and that can be pretty intimidating to me. I also really need to make sure I get my weight down since my first tri of the season is in 9 short weeks! Ahhh! Maybe at some point before then I might actually get to ride my bike outside, but in the meantime, I'm only on season 3 of "The Office" so at least I've got something to occupy my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment